Life Style

Mold Could Hide in These Places in Your Kitchen

Kitchens are intended to be places where beautiful meals and memories are made, not places where mold thrives. However, because kitchens contain a lot of moisture, they provide ideal circumstances for mold to grow—and often in unexpected locations.

Here are 12 places in your kitchen where mold could be hiding, as well as some suggestions for removing it and keeping it away for good.

Your Kitchen Sponge

Before you go for the kitchen sponge to wash down your countertops, think carefully. The average kitchen sponge has roughly 45 billion germs per square centimeter, making it ideal for mold growth. To prevent mold from spreading throughout your kitchen, run your sponge through the dishwasher on a warm dry cycle at least once a week, and replace the sponge every two weeks.

The Dishwasher

The dishwasher is supposed to clean and sanitize all your dirty dishes, but because it does this by spraying water behind a door that is almost always closed, the appliance can be susceptible to mold. Keeping mold at bay is simple enough—just keep the door propped open after a cycle has finished running until the interior has completely dried out.

The Blender

Any appliance that handles liquids and has a tight-fitting lid is ripe for mold growth. To make sure you’re not serving mold-infused smoothies, clean the blender every time you use it, and allow it to dry completely before you put it back together and store it away.

The Microwave

You may think that the heat in your microwave could kill any mold or germs that find their way in, but microwaves are prime for mold growth—especially when you forget to clean up spills. Fortunately, clearing mold out of a microwave is a breeze: Fill a glass with vinegar, put it in the microwave, run the appliance for a minute or so, and let the vapors do their job. Dry it thoroughly, and going forward always make sure the inside of the microwave is clean and dry after use.

Rubber Spatulas

Rubber spatulas are useful culinary utensils, but if they aren’t properly washed and dried, they can become breeding grounds for yeast and mold. Always scrub any food residue off the spatula with hot, soapy water, and make sure it’s completely dry before storing it. If it’s dishwasher safe, run it through a cycle and let it air dry before reusing it. Finally, if the rubber head separates from the handle, clean both pieces completely and thoroughly dry them before reassembling them.

Ice and Water Dispensers

That nice, tall glass of iced water you just poured at the fridge could have come with a moldy side. Because ice dispensers, water dispensers, and ice dispenser drawers contain a lot of moisture, they’re great places for mold to grow. Unfortunately, cleaning these components can be difficult. Turn the ice maker off once a month, remove the ice, and wash the bin and surrounding areas with warm, soapy water. Then, with the refrigerator turned off, use a toothbrush or cotton swab to scrub all around the water and ice dispensers with a vinegar-and-water solution.

The Pantry

Routinely letting food spoil in the pantry may be bad for your wallet, but it’s a great way to spawn mold. Eliminate the risk by getting rid of any old or expired foods and then wiping down the shelves with a natural cleaner that’s food-safe, such as warm, soapy water or a vinegar solution.

The Vegetable Drawer

The combination of aging produce and moisture from the fridge can turn the vegetable drawer into a playground for mold—the opposite of what you want to get when you’re reaching for a healthy snack. Every few weeks, take out the crisper drawers to wipe them down with a mixture of a tablespoon baking soda and warm water to reduce the risk of mold growth.

Refrigerator Drip Pans

Mold is always a risk in the drip pan beneath your refrigerator, thanks to all the moisture and food spills down there. Remove the drip pan once or twice a year, clean it, spray it with a solution of equal parts vinegar and water, and let it dry fully before replacing it.

On the Backsplash

Even the most meticulous home cooks might accidentally spray moisture or food particles onto the kitchen backsplash. If left neglected, this can lead to mold and mildew, especially on the grout. Wipe off the backsplash and grout with a cleaning solution on a regular basis to keep your tile beautiful and mold-free.



Back to top button